10/10/2010

Corduroying

As everybody but us Swedes from the back-of-beyond probably knows, there is a verb: to corduroy.

I have a couple of bottomless mudpits in my back yard. When the autumn rains arrive, you can sink deep enough to lose a wellie. We have tried to dump stones in them (to no avail). So, today I decided to "corduroy" them. I did not do it quite as described, but instead took a big bunch of dead branches, topped that with a nice tangle ("web", perhaps...) of freshly cut raspberry bushes (nice and tough) and several tangles of vines.
When done, we could walk across it without sinking, but if the (almost) corduroying will survive the winter, nobody knows. Yet.

Maybe I should label this post "off-loom weaving"...

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

Courderoy roads used to be fairly common here - logs were cut and laid down in swampy areas and trucks would bump along the 'ribs'...

Cheers,
Laura

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Well - that's what I was saying: everybody but [me] knows...
Actually, it would be nice if the idea was used here when logging, as the machines make holes big enough to break a leg in.